Lett Log House
Contributed by Robert Lett
Lett Log House -
Williams County Ohio
The Lett log house which was built by
George W. Lett can be found in Williams County Ohio. Williams County is the
most northern and western county in the state of Ohio and borders upon
Indiana and Michigan.
George W. Lett was born in 1821 in Muskingum County Ohio and was the son of
Aquilla Lett and Charity Cobbler Lett and married Elizabeth Long in
1849.and lived in Guernsey County Ohio not far from the
Muskingum County line and a section of Meigs Township called the "Lett
In 1850 George W. Lett acquired 40 acres of land in Milford Township (
Defiance County) from the government at $1.25 per acre. He transported his
family (wife and two small children) and belongings to his homestead by
horse and wagon and eventually built his log house.
The structure which is often described as a log cabin is more appropriately
called a log house as the structure had a stairway leading to a second
The Letts lived in the log house for 36 years and raised 11 children in the
home. Their children and year of birth are as follows; Mary 1840, Joseph
1850, Ira 1853, Doctor 1853, Laura L. 1855, Charles W. 1858, Elizabeth 1862,
Sarah 1864, Amanda 1866, Josephine July 4 1869, and Martha E. April 5,
1872. Elizabeth Lett died from asthma on December 2, 1886 at the age of 62
and George Lett died at the age of 77 on
February 5, 1898.
The Log House has been moved to the Williams County Ohio fairgrounds
and is maintained in conjunction with the Williams County Historical Society
which has refurbished the dwelling with appropriate era furnishings. The
house is open for tour.
There are "Old Settlers"
who came from Canada via "The Underground Railroad." It was the
most dramatic nonviolent protest against slavery in the United States
that began in the Colonial Era and reached its peak between 1830 and
1865. An estimated 30,000 to 100,000 slaves
used the "railroad" to get to Canada; many others escaped to Mexico,
the Caribbean, and Europe.