Old Settlers - Bingen - Homesteaders
(Click on the Book to Read) - Book found at http://osrw.org
Most of the Old Settlers were Homesteaders and lived in Bingen before the towns of Mecosta and Remus existed. President Abraham Lincoln signed the Homestead Act on May 20, 1862. On January 1, 1863, Daniel Freeman made the first claim under the Act, which gave citizens or future citizens up to 160 acres of public land provided they lived on it, improved it, and paid a small registration fee. The Government granted more than 270 million acres of land while the law was in effect. The draw to Michigan was homestead land made available through the Homestead Act of 1862 allotting pioneers 160 acres.
The Old Settlers are descended from families who arrived in the early 1800s in Ohio. The Normans and Stevens were in the Marietta area by 1810. The Caliman and Guy families settled in Morgan and Muskingum Counties between 1815 and 1820. The Letts arrived in Belmont County between 1815-1819 and later in Muskingum County. The Old Settler Community produced soldiers who fought in the U.S. Revolutionary and Civil Wars and were also imprisoned in the notorious Confederate Civil War Andersonville Prison. The pioneers came from humble beginnings as scholars, ministers, businessmen, musicians, professional baseball players, farmers, a U.S. Attorney, and 2 judges. Share the joy and blessings extended to the great and great-great-grandchildren for many honors coming their way in every walk of life. There were 32 Old Settlers and sons of Michigan Pioneers who served in the Civil War. Among them, 5 settled in Bingen and were: Thomas W. Cross, Jim Guy, Harrison Harding, Grandison Norman, and Charles Rice buried In Wheatland Cemetery.
- Squires Reunion
- Second Flag made to commemorate The Old Settlers' Reunion
- Ellen Moore
- 1937 Eileen Norman, Helen Johnson, Caroline Norman, Minnie Norman and Virgil Todd
- Skinner Lumber Camp around 1900 Picture: Courtesy Deonna (Todd) Green Lon Seaton, William Todd & John Todd are shown. Most of the Old Settlers worked in the lumber camps clearing the land.- Harrietta, MI
- Indian School - Mt. Pleasant - Cynthia Johnson, Elizabeth Johnson Attended School
- Kellogg Baseball Team: Roscoe, Olie, Homer, & Clifford Cross ---Theo Cross on end Second Row, Herschel, Art, & Bart Cross 1919
- Little River 1921
- The Village of Mecosta before it was paved. This picture was taken by a professional photographer just before WWI.
- Church Basement Stella Washington is standing left of the post wearing white lace on her head. Stella was the daughter of Mozura Washington and cousin of Emmett Porter. Their mothers were sisters.
- Arthur Cross Battalion & Bus 1919 Picture courtesy of Raymond Pointer, Sr.
- Mecosta Tigers Baseball Team Front Row Left: Arthur Cross, Guy Stine, Marshall Corey, F. Winemaster Arnold Lett, Fred Helms Back Row Left: Estel Harper, Pat Gingrich Early Brooks, Laurence Thering Wilson Scott, Warren Adams
- Clark Reunion - Grandma Harris, Cecil Clark Uncle Ollie & Aunt Lucille Picture Courtesy of Raymond Pointer, Sr.
- Remus - 1879 - Joseph Cummins Home First on Left Side
- Blanchard Railroad Depot
- Lindley Norman worked construction on the Detroit Windsor Tunnel. The picture shows his construction team. The tunnel was completed by the Detroit Windsor Tunnel Corporation in 1930.
- George Lindley Norman worked construction on the Detroit Windsor Tunnel. The picture shows his construction team. The tunnel was completed by the Detroit Windsor Tunnel Corporation in 1930.
- Bundy Hills Lumber Camp (Situated on the Squaw Branch of the Chippewa River at the old Bundy Dam) Picture Courtesy of Lillian Mumford (Todd, Sleet, Wood, Green Families Pictured) Submitted by Ken Todd
- Millbrook Railroad Depot
- Arthur Skinner & Bessie Smith - Arthur Skinner owned the Skinner Lumber Camp in Harrietta, MI
- Front Row: Minnie Norman & Norma Todd Center Row: Belle Brown & Caroline Norman Back Row: Virgil Todd, Jr. Allen, Thelma Johnson & Eileen Norman
OSRW - 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization